Friday 30 May 2014

Tracks//Wanderlust

I recently went to the cinema to see the film 'Tracks', based on Robyn Davidson's adventure from Alice Springs to the west coast of Australia.
Robyn Davidson decided to walk the1,700 mile trip alone, with only the company of four camels and her dog Diggity, in 1977 when she was 27 years old. She intended on doing the trip completely independently, but received a sponsorship from National Geographic Magazine due to lack of money. As part of her sponsorship deal, a photographer, Rick Smolan, was assigned to meet her along the way every few weeks to photograph her journey.
Davidson didn't intend on writing about her journey, but decided to write her book 'Tracks' after her article for National Geographic was so popular. This book is what the film Tracks, directed by John Curran, is based on. I haven't seen a film so inspiring and perfect in a long time, but Tracks was both these things. Shot in Australia, with Mia Wasikowska starring as Robyn Davidson, the film begins with her decision to make the journey and working to earn camels to accompany her, and follows her journey to the end at the west coast of Australia. Wasikowska plays an amazing role, which goes perfectly with the fantastic camera work and scenery.
Mark Kermode describes the film as 'a walking pace film, but a very good walk', which I believe is a very fitting way to describe it, it is slow pace and little things happen along the way, but for the film to work as it does I think this is the only way it should have been done. It draws beauty and detail to the reason why Davidson embarked on this journey; simply because she decided to, as a way of exploring and finding herself, rather than because she was forced to because of her circumstances. 
Davidsons dog and the four camels that accompany her on her journey play a big part in the film. The beauty and personalities of the animals were portrayed very well, and the director cleverly showed the great relationship Davidson had with the animals. Without these relationships the journey for Robyn Davidson would have been even more gruelling and difficult, and I think Wasikowska demonstrated this powerfully throughout the film. 
I walked out of the film with many different emotions running through me. I was amazed by the beautiful piece of cinema I had just witnessed; confused by the need in society to do the ordinary and the fear of breaking into the extraordinary; passionate about a life of exploring, creating and beauty. If Robyn Davidson can embark on a journey so extraordinary simply because she wanted to, because she was bored of city life, because she wanted to be alone, then what is stopping dreamers like myself doing something equally as extraordinary? Davidson didn't do the journey for fame, in fact she didn't intend on being sponsored or writing a book, and that isn't what I want. I want to be able to see and experience as much as I can, I want to achieve dreams and I don't want to live regretting things I haven't done. 
If 112 minutes of film can make you feel all this, I think it's definitely a film worth watching. However those who already have a serious case of wanderlust, beware... (Wanderlust: a strong, innate desire to rove or travel about.)

No comments:

Post a Comment