Tuesday 22 April 2014

The start of 'Rurban'


1.
(adj.) a place that has a rural setting that is in the outskirts of an urban environment. (Urban Dictionary)

The last few months of the Art Foundation consist of a self set Final Major Project. Having done research on the concept of 'Rurban', I decided this is what I would use to explore during my FMP.

My interpretation of the word is simply the links and contrasts between 'rural' and 'urban', the words that make up the new idea Rurban. Although in the definition Rurban is described as rural and urban being side by side, in many cases, rural landscape around the country has been completely urbanised by today's society, meaning that rural and urban are often found completely intertwined.

I was inspired to explore this idea by a family friend, Mark Goodwin, who is also a published poet from Leicestershire, who is also very interested in the idea of Rurban and has written poetry that can be linked to it. After talking to him about his ideas and work, I thought of many ways I wanted to convey my ideas through art work in my final project.

I decided to look purely at Leicestershire, as that is where I live and where Mark Goodwin's inspiration came from. Basing the project on my area also allows the project to be more personal, as well as giving me perfect first hand resources.

I decided to explore each component of the word 'Rurban' separately by doing work on architecture around the centre of Leicester city and landscapes around Leicestershire, then linking the two by making a short film at the end to link all the ideas together.

No comments:

Post a Comment